Show Navigation

Photograph of Burns Mausoleum Ceremony, January c 1900

Back

View Large Image

Wreath Laying Ceremony at Burns Mausoleum, c 1900

Introduction:
Robert Burns was originally buried in St Michael's Churchyard, Dumfries, in a simple grave, marked only by a plain stone slab. In 1803 when Dorothy and William Wordsworth visited Dumfries they had difficulty in even finding the grave. Burns' admirers came to believe that this was an insufficient memorial to the poet.
Image Rights Holder:
Dumfries & Galloway Museums Service
Ref:
32
Project:
241:Robert Burns - People and Places
Material:
Paper
Dimensions:
Image - length: 148 mm, width: 207 mm
What:
Photograph of Burns Mausoleum Ceremony, January c 1900
Subject:
The laying of wreaths at the mausoleum on the poet's birthday was instigated by Dumfries Burns Club. This ceremony was observed throughout the 19th century and formed part of the celebrations of the first and second centenary of his birth. It is still an important element of the rituals of Burns' birthday today.
Who:
Robert Burns (1759-1796) (his burial place)
William Wordsworth (1770-1850) (visited Burns grave)
Dorothy Wordsworth (1771-1855) (visited Burns grave)
King George IV (1762-1830) (subscriber to Mausoleum fund)
John Syme (1755-1831) (set up Mausoleum fund)
Dumfries Burns Club (representation)
Alex McDougall (photographer)
Matthew Henry McKerrow (representation)
Jean Armour Burns Brown (1864-1937) (great grand daughter of Robert Burns) (representation)
When:
January c 1900
Where:
Dumfries Museum, Dumfries & Galloway
Background:
The laying of wreaths at the mausoleum on the poet's birthday was instigated by Dumfries Burns Club. This ceremony was observed throughout the 19th century and formed part of the celebrations of the first and second centenary of his birth. It is still an important element of the rituals of Burns' birthday today.
Description:
In 1813 his friend, John Syme formed a committee and launched an appeal to build a mausoleum in his memory. One of the subscribers was the Prince Regent, later George IV. The mausoleum was completed in September 1817.