Show Navigation

Manuscript

Back

View Large Image

The Twa Dogs, by Robert Burns

Introduction:
One of six manuscripts which have survived of the 32 poems, three songs and nine epitaphs and epigrams Burns sent to Wilson the printer in 1786 for his first ever publication. Now known as the Kilmarnock Edition, this book made Burns and various versions of this seminal first edition have been reprinted ever since. The manuscripts were gifted to Burns' friend and patron Gavin Hamilton and were eventually obtained by Irvine Burns Club in 1832. One can almost imagine Burns, full of trepidation, carrying these manuscripts the eight miles from Mauchline to Kilmarnock. The transformation of his handwritten poems into 'guid black prent' would bring him from literary obscurity to national attention almost overnight.
Image Rights Holder:
National Burns Collection
Ref:
burns21
Project:
964:0
What:
Manuscript
Who:
Robert Burns (1759 - 1796) (poet)
Gavin Hamilton (friend and patron of Robert Burns)
Robert Burns (1759 - 1796) (poet)
Robert Burns (1759 - 1796) (poet)
Gavin Hamilton (friend and patron of Robert Burns)
When:
Where:
Irvine Burns Club, North Ayrshire
Description:
Burns came to Irvine in 1781 to learn the craft of flax dressing. Today, the town's Burns Club - founded in 1826 and one of the world's oldest - has one of Scotland's most significant Burns treasure troves.