Show Navigation

Punch bowl

Back

View Large Image

Punch bowl which was used by Robert Burns

Introduction:
This punchbowl was used at the Queensberry Arms Inn, in the High Street of Sanquhar during the time that Robert Burns stayed there. Burns was a frequent visitor to the town from 1788 onwards.
Image Rights Holder:
Dumfries & Galloway Museums Service
Ref:
SQRTM:1993.9
Project:
39:Robert Burns in Dumfries and Galloway
Material:
Ceramic
What:
Punch bowl
Subject:
The Queensberry Arms was owned by the Provost of Sanquhar, Edward Whigham, and Burns enjoyed the company to be had there, calling it 'the only tolerable inn in the place'.
Who:
Robert Burns (1759 - 1796) (use)
Edward Whigham (owner)
When:
18th century
Where:
Sanquhar Tolbooth Museum, Dumfries & Galloway
Background:
The Queensberry Arms was owned by the Provost of Sanquhar, Edward Whigham, and Burns enjoyed the company to be had there, calling it 'the only tolerable inn in the place'.
Description:
When he was renovating his farm at Ellisland, outside Dumfries, he would pass through Sanquhar on his way back to visit his wife, Jean, in Mauchline. Later, he would spend the night there in the course of his excise duties in Upper Nithsdale.