Punch bowl of Dumfries Burns Club (1)
- Image Rights Holder:
- Dumfries & Galloway Museums Service
- :Future Museum
- ceramic, porcelain
- height 245mm, diameter 450mm, capacity 3 Imperial Gallons
- Robert Burns
- punch bowl
- Josiah Spode (Stoke on Trent, Staffordshire) (Potter)
- 19th Century
- Robert Burns Centre, Dumfries & Galloway
On 25th January 1819, attendees of the Burns Supper at the Globe Inn, Dumfries, decided to open a subscription for the purchase of a porcelain punch bowl, for future use at this annual event. The punch bowl, a silver punch ladle, serving mugs and three dozen wine glasses were purchased and presented at a meeting of the subscribers on 18th January 1820. The subscribers to the bowl decided to form a Society, to be named 'The Burns Club of Dumfries'.
Over the years the punch bowl was subjected to a great deal of robust treatment during the dinners, and in time was retired from active service. It remained in a damaged condition in the Burns House Museum until November 1977, when the decision to restore the bowl was made. This was successfully completed in May 1978 by the Monogram Studio of Congleton, Cheshire - not so far from the original Spode pottery where the bowl had been made.
The punchbowl is decorated with several images, and the foot is inscribed with 35 names of the original subscribers.