Show Navigation

Robert Burns

Back

Poster advertising Burns House, Dumfries

Image Rights Holder:
Dumfries & Galloway Museums Service
Project:
:Future Museum
Material:
paper
Dimensions:
width: 204 mm, length: 254 mm
What:
Robert Burns
Subject:
poster
Who:
Ian D Stewart (Artist)
When:
20th Century
Where:
Background:
Lindsay, Maurice “Robert Burns – The Man, his Work, the Legend”. New York and London: Robert Hale and St Martin’s Press, 1979; Lindsay, Maurice “The Burns Encyclopaedia”, 3rd edition. London and New York: Robert Hale and St Martin’s Press, 1980; Lockwood, David “Celebrate the Legend – Discover Robert Burns in Dumfries and Galloway”. Dumfries: Dumfries and Galloway Council, 2009; Mackay, James A “Burns-Lore of Dumfries and Galloway”. Ayr: Alloway Publishing Limited, 1988; Mackay, James “Burnsiana”. Ayr: Alloway Publishing Limited, 1988; Town Council of the Royal Burgh of Dumfries (Issued) “Catalogue of Exhibits with Official Handbook of Burns’ House Dumfries and other memories of the National Poet”. Dumfries: Robert Dinwiddie, 1944
Description:
A small handbill advertising Burns House, Dumfries with a lithographic print of a pencil drawing of the kitchen in the house.

 

"Visitors To Dumfries Should Not Fail To Visit Burns' House". Robert Burns died here on 21 July 1796, although his wife, Jean Armour Burns continued to live in the house until her own death in 1834. The house was purchased in 1851 by their son, Colonel  William Nicol Burns and throughout the 19th Century it became a place of pilgrimage for Burns enthusiasts from around the world.

 

In 1935 the house was fully restored and opened as a museum. It was at this time that the external render was removed and the sandstone exterior revealed. This poster, which dates from this period in the history of the house, carries a lithographic print of a pencil drawing of the kitchen by Ian D Stewart.

 

His drawings were also used to illustrate the "Official Handbook of Burns House, Dumfries" published by the "Directors of Dumfries and Galloway Royal Infirmary as Trustees and Custodiers of the House".