Show Navigation

Robert Burns

Back

Postcard of a colour tinted photograph of the National Burns Monument at Alloway (1)

Image Rights Holder:
Dumfries & Galloway Museums Service
Project:
:Future Museum
Material:
paper
Dimensions:
width: 137 mm, length: 88 mm
What:
Robert Burns
Subject:
postcard
Who:
When:
20th Century
Where:
Background:
Burns, Robert “The Complete Letters of Robert Burns”, Ed. James A Mackay. Ayr: Alloway Publishing Limited, 1987; Burns, Robert “The Letters of Robert Burns”, 2 vols., Ed. J de Lancey Ferguson and G Ross Roy. Oxford: Clarendon, 1985; Crawford, Robert “The Bard – Robert Burns, a Biography”. London: Jonathan Cape, 2009; Gibson, James “The Bibliography of Robert Burns, with Biographical and Bibliographical Notes and Sketches of Burns Clubs, Monuments and Statues”. Kilmarnock: James M’Kie, 1881; Hogg, Patrick Scott “Robert Burns – The Patriot Bard”. Edinburgh: Mainstream, 2008; Lindsay, Maurice “Robert Burns – The Man, his Work, the Legend”. New York and London: Robert Hale and St Martin’s Press, 1979; Lindsay, Maurice “The Burns Encyclopaedia”, 3rd edition. London and New York: Robert Hale and St Martin’s Press, 1980; Mackay, James “Burnsiana”. Ayr: Alloway Publishing Limited, 1988; Mackay, James “A Biography of Robert Burns”. Edinburgh: Mainstream, 1992; McIntyre, Ian “Dirt & Deity – A Life of Robert Burns”. London: HarperCollins, 1995; Westwood, Peter J “The Deltiology of Robert Burns”. Dumfries: Creedon Publications, 1994
Description:

"Ayr, Burns' Monument". A coloured lithographic postcard of the monument to Robert Burns in the National Burns Monument Gardens  at Alloway, near to Ayr. 

 

Set in attractive gardens on the north bank of the River Doon, the National Burns Monument was inaugurated in 1823. It was designed by Thomas Hamilton of Edinburgh in the Grecian style.

 

Robert Burns was born at Alloway on the 25th January 1759, the eldest of seven children of Agnes and William Burnes. His father was a market gardener, who, having acquired a small holding of land, had built their cottage with its whitewashed clay walls and thatched roof with his own hands. The poet's father had sold the birthplace cottage in 1781 and it was used as a public house until May 1881.
 

By this time it had become a place of pilgrimage for Burns enthusiasts from around the world. It was purchased for £4,000 by the Trustees of the Burns Monument and opened to the public. Burns' birthplace and the Burns Monument Gardens were a landmark for those visiting "Burns' Country" at the time this postcard was published.