Show Navigation

Postcard of Burns Monument, Kilmarnock, c 1905

Back

View Large Image

Postcard of a colour tinted photograph of the Burns Monument at Kilmarnock c 1905

Introduction:
Kilmarnock has many associations with Robert Burns, most notably the first edition of his work was printed here in 1786 by John Wilson, a local printer. Of this first edition only 612 were printed and copies of this rare book are now known as 'Kilmarnock Editions'.
Image Rights Holder:
Dumfries & Galloway Museums Service
Ref:
89
Project:
241:Robert Burns - People and Places
Material:
Paper
Dimensions:
Length: 88 mm, width: 137 mm
What:
Postcard of Burns Monument, Kilmarnock, c 1905
Subject:
At the front of the monument there is a statue of Burns by W Grant Stevenson. The structure would still be relatively new at the time this postcard was published and would certainly have been a point of interest for those touring 'Burns Country'.
Who:
Robert Burns (1759-1796) (monument to)
John Wilson (Kilmarnock) (publisher / printer of Burns)
William Grant Stevenson (1849-1919) (sculptor)
Robert Ingram (Kilmarnock) (architect)
James McKie (Kilmarnock) (fundraiser for)
When:
c 1905
Where:
Dumfries Museum, Dumfries & Galloway
Background:
At the front of the monument there is a statue of Burns by W Grant Stevenson. The structure would still be relatively new at the time this postcard was published and would certainly have been a point of interest for those touring 'Burns Country'.
Description:
The Burns Monument is in Kay Park and was erected in 1879. It was designed by the Kilmarnock architect, Robert Ingram and has been described as 'an eclectic fusion of Scots Baronial, neo-Gothic and Italianate, with a dash of Baroque and a hint of Romanesque.'