Show Navigation

Oak chair with carved arms depicting the dogs from the poem 'The twa Dogs' named Luath and Caesar

Back

View Large Image

Oak chair with carved arms depicting 'The Twa Dogs' poem

Introduction:
Constructed around 1858 in preparation for the Burns Centenary festival in the County Buildings in Ayr, the chair was presented by Mr. T. M. Gemmell a descendant of John Wilson in October 1891.
Image Rights Holder:
National Trust for Scotland
Ref:
BMT176
Project:
198:The History of Robert Burns at Alloway
What:
Oak chair with carved arms depicting the dogs from the poem 'The twa Dogs' named Luath and Caesar
Subject:
The chair has carved arms depicting the dogs Luath and Caesar featured in the poem 'the twa dogs'. Also carvings of Tam 'o Shanter and Souter Johnie and a carving of Burns himself are featured on the top of the chair back.
Who:
Robert Burns (poet)
T. M. Gemmell (donor)
When:
1858
Where:
The Robert Burns Birthplace Museum, South Ayrshire
Background:
The chair has carved arms depicting the dogs Luath and Caesar featured in the poem 'the twa dogs'. Also carvings of Tam 'o Shanter and Souter Johnie and a carving of Burns himself are featured on the top of the chair back.
Description:
This ornate chair was carved from the wood which had formally been part of the printing press at John Wilson's printing works in Kilmarnock on which the first volume of Burns' poems were printed in 1786.