Show Navigation

Cabinet card of Matthew McKerrow, c 1890

Back

View Large Image

Matthew Henry McKerrow, c 1890

Introduction:
Matthew McKerrow, a solicitor, was a leading member of the Burns movement in the early years of the 20th century. He served as president of Dumfries Burns Club and President of the Burns Federation. He was instrumental in the appeal for funds to refurbish Burns Mausoleum.
Image Rights Holder:
Dumfries & Galloway Museums Service
Ref:
100
Project:
241:Robert Burns - People and Places
Material:
Paper
Dimensions:
Image - length: 138 mm, width: 95 mm
What:
Cabinet card of Matthew McKerrow, c 1890
Subject:
Cabinet cards were almost always made from studio portraits. They were produced to be sold or exchanged and were collected in elaborate albums, specially made for the purpose, often with window mounts to display the cards. This cabinet card dates from the 1890s when they were already being replaced in popularity by enlarged studio portraits and photographic postcards.
Who:
Matthew Henry McKerrow (representation)
Hermon Cawthra (sculptor) (designer of replacement statuary)
Robert Burns (1759-1796) (admirer of)
James White (Dumfries and Moniaive) (photographer)
When:
c 1890
Where:
Dumfries Museum, Dumfries & Galloway
Background:
Cabinet cards were almost always made from studio portraits. They were produced to be sold or exchanged and were collected in elaborate albums, specially made for the purpose, often with window mounts to display the cards. This cabinet card dates from the 1890s when they were already being replaced in popularity by enlarged studio portraits and photographic postcards.
Description:
By the early 1900s it had begun to show signs of deterioration and there was a movement to replace the statuary and to restore the fabric of the mausoleum. The sculptor, Hermon Cawthra was selected and the new statuary group was unveiled on the 19th September 1936.