Show Navigation

Jug, masonic

Back

View Large Image

Masonic jug which belonged to Robert Burns

Introduction:
This plain white earthenware tankard is decorated with Masonic symbols and bears the text, 'Industry Providence Love & Truth The Freemasons Arms'. It belonged to Robert Burns, who was an active Freemason.
Image Rights Holder:
Dumfries & Galloway Museums Service
Ref:
DUMFM:1964.144.16
Project:
39:Robert Burns in Dumfries and Galloway
Material:
Ceramic, white earthenware
Dimensions:
Height: 120 mm; diameter (base): 90 mm
What:
Jug, masonic
Subject:
During his time in Edinburgh he frequented the Canongate Kilwinning Lodge and made many important friends there. In 1791, when he moved to Dumfries, Burns became a member of St Andrew's Lodge and he last visited this lodge three months before his death.
Who:
Thomson Collection (Hole in the Wa', High Street, Dumfries) (from)
Robert Burns (1759 - 1796) (owner)
When:
Where:
Robert Burns House, Dumfries & Galloway
Background:
During his time in Edinburgh he frequented the Canongate Kilwinning Lodge and made many important friends there. In 1791, when he moved to Dumfries, Burns became a member of St Andrew's Lodge and he last visited this lodge three months before his death.
Description:
During the last quarter of the 18th century, Freemasonry was at the height of its popularity. Burns became a Mason in 1781 and remained involved throughout his life. Many of his most influential connections were made through Freemasonry.