Show Navigation

Lantern Slide with photograph of Burns Monument, Mauchline, c 1900

Back

View Large Image

Magic Lantern Slide with Photograph of Burns Monument, Mauchline

Introduction:
The National Burns Memorial at Mauchline was opened in 1898 by J G A Baird MP of Muirkirk. The building is in sight of Mossgiel where Robert Burns farmed. Behind the tower are the rows of cottage homes which were intended for 'deserving persons'.
Image Rights Holder:
Dumfries & Galloway Museums Service
Ref:
64
Project:
241:Robert Burns - People and Places
Material:
Glass
Dimensions:
Length: 82 mm, width: 82 mm
What:
Lantern Slide with photograph of Burns Monument, Mauchline, c 1900
Subject:
Because of their associations with Burns, Mossgiel and Mauchline became landmarks for those visiting Burns' haunts in the latter part of the 19th Century. Hence the inclusion of this magic lantern slide in a presentation on 'Burns' Country.'
Who:
Robert Burns (1759-1796) (memorial to)
Jean Armour Burns (1767-1834) (wife of the poet, Robert Burns) (she lived here)
J G A Baird MP (Wellwood, Muirkirk) (1898) (opened by)
When:
c 1900 (production)
Where:
Dumfries Museum, Dumfries & Galloway
Background:
Because of their associations with Burns, Mossgiel and Mauchline became landmarks for those visiting Burns' haunts in the latter part of the 19th Century. Hence the inclusion of this magic lantern slide in a presentation on 'Burns' Country.'
Description:
Robert Burns first met his wife, Jean Armour in Mauchline in 1784 shortly after his family moved to the farm of Mossgiel. She was one of the 'Mauchline Belles'. Their first married home was in the town.