Show Navigation

Lantern Slide with engraving of Burns Mausoleum Statuary

Back

View Large Image

Magic Lantern Slide with Engraving of Statuary Group in Burns' Mausoleum, Dumfries

Introduction:
Robert Burns was originally buried in St Michael's Churchyard, Dumfries, in a simple grave, marked only by a plain stone slab. In 1803 when Dorothy and William Wordsworth visited Dumfries they had difficulty in even finding the grave. Burns' admirers came to believe that this was an insufficient memorial to the poet.
Image Rights Holder:
Dumfries & Galloway Museums Service
Ref:
48
Project:
241:Robert Burns - People and Places
Material:
Glass
Dimensions:
Length: 82 mm, width: 82 mm
What:
Lantern Slide with engraving of Burns Mausoleum Statuary
Subject:
The statuary group which is the subject of this magic lantern slide was designed and worked by Peter Turnerelli. It depicts Burns' own conception of 'Coila', representing the Ayrshire district of Kyle where he was born, throwing her inspiring mantle over the poet as he works at the plough.
Who:
Robert Burns (1759-1796) (his burial place)
Dorothy Wordsworth (1771-1855) (visited Burns grave)
William Wordsworth (1770-1850) (visited Burns grave)
John Syme (1755-1831) (set up Mausoleum fund)
King George IV (1762-1830) (subscriber to Mausoleum fund)
Thomas Frederick Hunt (1791-1831) (architect of Mausoleum)
Peter Turnerelli (1774-1839) (sculptor)
When:
Pre 1936 (before statuary group was replaced)
Where:
Dumfries Museum, Dumfries & Galloway
Background:
The statuary group which is the subject of this magic lantern slide was designed and worked by Peter Turnerelli. It depicts Burns' own conception of 'Coila', representing the Ayrshire district of Kyle where he was born, throwing her inspiring mantle over the poet as he works at the plough.
Description:
In 1813 his friend, John Syme formed a committee and launched an appeal to build a mausoleum in his memory. One of the subscribers was the Prince Regent, later George IV. After a public advertisement, over 50 designs were received and the plans of T F Hunt, a London architect were approved.