Show Navigation

Print entitled 'House in which the poet Burns died 21st July 1796'

Back

View Large Image

House in which the poet Burns died 21st July 1796, c 1830

Introduction:
It was in this ordinary sandstone house in a quiet back street of Dumfries that Robert Burns spent the last three years of his life. The family moved into the house in May 1793. The house had a parlour, kitchen, two bedrooms and even a small study where Burns could write. It was well furnished with a carpet and a long case clock in the parlour.
Image Rights Holder:
Dumfries & Galloway Museums Service
Ref:
233
Project:
241:Robert Burns - People and Places
Material:
Paper
Dimensions:
Image - length: 227 mm, width: 316 mm
What:
Print entitled 'House in which the poet Burns died 21st July 1796'
Subject:
This drawing was made in the late 1820s by William Leighton Leitch who was at that time working for Andrew Smith of Mauchline. Smith had founded a small company producing snuff boxes and other small wooden items, or treen, decorated by Scottish scenes. He commissioned Leitch to make drawings of well known landmarks for this purpose. Leitch later went on to become a tutor in drawing to Queen Victoria and the Royal family.
Who:
Robert Burns (1759-1796) (he died here)
William Nicol Burns (1791-1872) (son of the poet, Robert Burns) (previous owner)
Jean Armour Burns (1767-1834) (wife of the poet, Robert Burns) (she died here)
William Leighton Leitch (1804-1883) (artist)
Andrew Smith (Mauchline, Ayrshire) (box maker)
When:
c 1830 (production date)
Where:
Dumfries Museum, Dumfries & Galloway
Background:
This drawing was made in the late 1820s by William Leighton Leitch who was at that time working for Andrew Smith of Mauchline. Smith had founded a small company producing snuff boxes and other small wooden items, or treen, decorated by Scottish scenes. He commissioned Leitch to make drawings of well known landmarks for this purpose. Leitch later went on to become a tutor in drawing to Queen Victoria and the Royal family.
Description:
Robert Burns died in the bedroom of this house in 1796 but his widow, Jean Armour Burns continued to live in the house until her own death in 1834. The house was purchased in 1851 by their son, Colonel William Nicol Burns and throughout the 19th Century it became a place of pilgrimage for Burns enthusiasts from around the world.