Show Navigation

Gun, flintlock four bore carbine

Back

View Large Image

Flintlock carbine, which belonged to Robert Burns

Introduction:
This gun is a four bore flintlock carbine, the furnishings are of brass and the stock of walnut. It would fire a lead ball weighing a quarter of a pound or 113 grams.
Image Rights Holder:
Dumfries & Galloway Museums Service
Ref:
DUMFM:1985.27
Project:
39:Robert Burns in Dumfries and Galloway
Material:
Metal (barrel), metal, brass (fittings); wood, walnut (stock)
Dimensions:
Overall length: 1100 mm
What:
Gun, flintlock four bore carbine
Subject:
Burns would have used this gun in the course of his duties as an Excise Officer. Excise was a tax similar to VAT, but collected at the point of manufacture or import. He was paid ¶œ50 per year, with a bonus of ¶œ50 for every smuggler captured.
Who:
Robert Burns (1759 - 1796) (use (in the course of his Excise duties))
John Probin (London and Birmingham) (gunmaker to the Prince of Wales, later George IV) (gunsmith)
Glasgow International Exhibition (1901) (exhibited at)
When:
1790
Where:
Robert Burns House, Dumfries & Galloway
Background:
Burns would have used this gun in the course of his duties as an Excise Officer. Excise was a tax similar to VAT, but collected at the point of manufacture or import. He was paid ¶œ50 per year, with a bonus of ¶œ50 for every smuggler captured.
Description:
It was made in 1790 by John Probin, of London and Birmingham, gunmaker to the Prince of Wales, later George IV. After the poet's death in 1796, his widow Jean Armour Burns gave it to a neighbour in return for a kindness, perhaps a loan.