Show Navigation

Photograph of Ellisland Farm, Dumfries, c 1870

Back

View Large Image

Ellisland Farm, Dumfries c 1870

Introduction:
Robert Burns took on the lease of Ellisland Farm from Patrick Miller of Dalswinton from Whitsunday 1788 for a rent of ¶œ50 per year. It was a small unimproved holding of 170 acres situated on the bank of the River Nith about 5 miles north of the town of Dumfries. Miller gave Burns ¶œ300 with which to build a farm house and enclose the fields.
Image Rights Holder:
Dumfries & Galloway Museums Service
Ref:
4
Project:
241:Robert Burns - People and Places
Material:
Paper
Dimensions:
Image - length: 155 mm, width: 207 mm
What:
Photograph of Ellisland Farm, Dumfries, c 1870
Subject:
The five bedroomed farmhouse which was built to Burns' instructions was designed by Thomas Boyd, a Dumfries architect. It is still as it was in Burns' time, although the steadings have been much remodelled. In 1929 the farm was presented to the nation by John Wilson Williamson. It is now a museum.
Who:
Robert Burns (1759-1796) (his home)
Gilbert Burns (1760-1827) (brother of the poet, Robert Burns)
Thomas Boyd (Dumfries) (architect)
John Wilson Williamson (previous owner)
Patrick Miller (Dalswinton)(1731-1815) (landlord of Burns)
When:
1870
Where:
Dumfries Museum, Dumfries & Galloway
Background:
The five bedroomed farmhouse which was built to Burns' instructions was designed by Thomas Boyd, a Dumfries architect. It is still as it was in Burns' time, although the steadings have been much remodelled. In 1929 the farm was presented to the nation by John Wilson Williamson. It is now a museum.
Description:
In January 1790 Burns wrote to his brother Gilbert, 'it is a ruinous affair ... let it go to hell'. By this time his career in the Excise was becoming established, and he finally quit the farm at the end of 1791, selling off his farming stock by public roup, or auction.