Show Navigation

Pin, cravat, reverse

Back

View Large Image

Cravat pin which belonged to Robert Burns, reverse

Introduction:
This stylish cravat pin is made from a polished agate pebble which Robert Burns discovered at Braemar during his short tour of the Highlands in 1787. On his return to Edinburgh he had it set into this cravat pin by a goldsmith.
Image Rights Holder:
Dumfries & Galloway Museums Service
Ref:
DUMFM:1936.2.21.A
Project:
39:Robert Burns in Dumfries and Galloway
Material:
Stone, agate; metal, gold
Dimensions:
Height: 26 mm, width: 31 mm
What:
Pin, cravat, reverse
Subject:
This valuable memento of the poet was given to Mrs. William Smith in 1825 by his widow, Jean Armour Burns. By that time relics of Burns were treasured and preserved.
Who:
Robert Burns (1759 - 1796) (found the pebble on a trip to Braemar)
Jean Armour Burns (1765 - 1834) (given by her to Mrs William Smith (1825))
Mrs. William Smith (given to her by Jean Armour Burns (1825})
When:
1787
Where:
Robert Burns Centre, Dumfries & Galloway
Background:
This valuable memento of the poet was given to Mrs. William Smith in 1825 by his widow, Jean Armour Burns. By that time relics of Burns were treasured and preserved.
Description:
Burns spent time in Edinburgh in 1787 following the success of the first edition of his work, published in Kilmarnock. He was acclaimed as a poet and was welcomed in Edinburgh Society. The 3,000 copies of his first Edinburgh edition sold rapidly.