Show Navigation

Photograph of Burns Statue, Dumfries with Thom Statues passing by

Back

View Large Image

Burns Statue, Dumfries with Tam O'Shanter and Souter Johnnie statues 'on tour', c 1900

Introduction:
The statue to Robert Burns which commands a central position in the town of Dumfries was designed by Amelia Paton Hill. She had previously exhibited portrait busts, animal figures and genre groups at the Royal Academy, and all these elements are to be found in her statue of Burns, which is probably her best known work.
Image Rights Holder:
Dumfries & Galloway Museums Service
Ref:
20
Project:
241:Robert Burns - People and Places
Material:
Paper
Dimensions:
Image - length: 150 mm, width: 98 mm
What:
Photograph of Burns Statue, Dumfries with Thom Statues passing by
Subject:
Thom made many copies of these statues and they continued to be reproduced throughout the 19th Century. These life size figures of two of his fictional characters are undoubtedly the most popular sculpture associated with Burns.
Who:
Robert Burns (1759-1796) (representation)
Archibald Philip Primrose, 5th Earl of Rosebery (1847-1929) (unveiled statue)
Simon Reid (22 Castle Street, Dumfries) (photographer)
James Thom (1802-1850) (Tarbolton) (sculptor)
Amelia Robertson Paton (Mrs David Octavius Hill) (designer)
John Davidson (1728-1806)(prototype for Souter Johnnie) (representation)
Douglas Graham of Shanter (1739-1811)(prototype for Tam O'Shanter) (representation)
When:
c 1900
Where:
Dumfries Museum, Dumfries & Galloway
Background:
Thom made many copies of these statues and they continued to be reproduced throughout the 19th Century. These life size figures of two of his fictional characters are undoubtedly the most popular sculpture associated with Burns.
Description:
The statue was carved in Carrara by Italian craftsmen working to Amelia Hill's model. It was unveiled by the Earl of Rosebery on 6th April 1882. In this photograph another pair of statues are passing in an open cart. These are versions of the statues of Tam O'Shanter and Souter Johnnie made by James Thom, a stonemason of Tarbolton. His original pair are situated in the Statue House at the Burns Monument Gardens, Alloway.