Show Navigation

Photograph of Burns House, Dumfries, before 1935

Back

View Large Image

Burns House, Dumfries c 1920

Introduction:
It was in this ordinary sandstone house in a quiet back street of Dumfries that Robert Burns spent the last three years of his life. The family moved into the house in May 1793. The house had a parlour, kitchen, two bedrooms and even a small study where Burns could write. It was well furnished with a carpet and long case clock in the parlour.
Image Rights Holder:
Dumfries & Galloway Museums Service
Ref:
9
Project:
241:Robert Burns - People and Places
Material:
Paper
Dimensions:
Image - length: 228 mm, width: 279 mm
What:
Photograph of Burns House, Dumfries, before 1935
Subject:
At the time this photograph was taken a caretaker occupied the house, apart from the room in which the poet had died, which was set out as an exhibition of Burns relics. The house was restored in 1935 and opened as a museum. It still retains much of its eighteenth century character.
Who:
Robert Burns (1759-1796) (his home)
William Nicol Burns (1791-1872) (son of the poet, Robert Burns) (previous owner)
Jean Armour Burns (1767-1834) (wife of the poet, Robert Burns) (she lived here)
When:
c 1920
Where:
Dumfries Museum, Dumfries & Galloway
Background:
At the time this photograph was taken a caretaker occupied the house, apart from the room in which the poet had died, which was set out as an exhibition of Burns relics. The house was restored in 1935 and opened as a museum. It still retains much of its eighteenth century character.
Description:
Robert Burns died here on 21 July 1796, although his wife, Jean Armour Burns continued to live in the house until her own death in 1834. The house was purchased in 1851 by their son, Colonel William Nicol Burns and throughout the 19th Century it became a place of pilgrimage for Burns enthusiasts from around the world.