Show Navigation

Photograph of Burns House, Dumfries, 1999

Back

View Large Image

Burns House, Dumfries (1)

Introduction:
It was in this ordinary sandstone house in a quiet back street of Dumfries that Robert Burns spent the last three years of his life. The family moved into the house in May 1793. The house had a parlour, kitchen, two bedrooms and even a small study where Burns could write. It was well furnished with a carpet and a long case clock in the parlour.
Image Rights Holder:
Dumfries & Galloway Museums Service
Ref:
182
Project:
241:Robert Burns - People and Places
What:
Photograph of Burns House, Dumfries, 1999
Subject:
By 1903 a caretaker occupied the house and the room in which the poet had died was set out as an exhibition of Burns relics. The house was restored in 1935 and opened in its entirety as a museum. It is now part of Dumfries and Galloway Museums Service and is enduringly popular with visitors to the town and local people alike.
Who:
Robert Burns (1759-1796) (he lived here)
William Nicol Burns (1791-1872) (son of the poet, Robert Burns) (previous owner)
Jean Armour Burns (1767-1834) (wife of the poet, Robert Burns) (she lived here)
When:
1999
Where:
Robert Burns House, Dumfries & Galloway
Background:
By 1903 a caretaker occupied the house and the room in which the poet had died was set out as an exhibition of Burns relics. The house was restored in 1935 and opened in its entirety as a museum. It is now part of Dumfries and Galloway Museums Service and is enduringly popular with visitors to the town and local people alike.
Description:
Robert Burns died here on 21 July 1796, although his wife, Jean Armour Burns continued to live in the house until her own death in 1834. The house was purchased in 1851 by their son, Colonel William Nicol Burns and throughout the 19th Century it became a place of pilgrimage for Burns enthusiasts from around the world.