Show Navigation

Photograph of Burns Federation Conference Delegates, 1927

Back

View Large Image

Burns Federation Conference Delegates at Burns Mausoleum, Dumfries, 1927

Introduction:
Robert Burns was originally buried in St Michael's Churchyard, Dumfries, in a simple grave, marked only by a plain stone slab. In 1803 when Dorothy and William Wordsworth visited Dumfries they had difficulty in even finding the grave. Burns' admirers came to believe that this was an insufficient memorial to the poet.
Image Rights Holder:
Dumfries & Galloway Museums Service
Ref:
33
Project:
241:Robert Burns - People and Places
Material:
Paper
Dimensions:
Image - length: 153 mm, width: 206 mm
What:
Photograph of Burns Federation Conference Delegates, 1927
Subject:
The Burns Federation was founded in 1885 as an affiliation of Burns Clubs. It has published a journal, 'The Burns Chronicle' since 1891, maintaining communication and stimulating interest in the Burns movement throughout the world. It still holds its conference in a different location in September of each year.
Who:
Burns Federation, The (representation)
Robert Burns (1759-1796) (his grave)
William Wordsworth (1770-1850) (visited Burns grave)
Dorothy Wordsworth (1771-1855) (visited Burns grave)
King George IV (1762-1830) (subscriber to Mausoleum fund)
John Syme (1755-1831) (set up Mausoleum fund)
R A Grierson (Dumfries Town Clerk) (representation)
James Clarke M'George (ex Dumfries Provost) (representation)
Matthew Henry McKerrow (representation)
Simon Reid (22 Castle Street, Dumfries) (photographer)
When:
1927
Where:
Dumfries Museum, Dumfries & Galloway
Background:
The Burns Federation was founded in 1885 as an affiliation of Burns Clubs. It has published a journal, 'The Burns Chronicle' since 1891, maintaining communication and stimulating interest in the Burns movement throughout the world. It still holds its conference in a different location in September of each year.
Description:
In 1813 his friend, John Syme formed a committee and launched an appeal to build a mausoleum in his memory. One of the subscribers was the Prince Regent, later George IV. The mausoleum was completed in September 1817.