Show Navigation

Illustrated London News 'Burns Farm at Ellisland', 1859

Back

View Large Image

'Burns' Farm At Ellisland, On The River Nith, Near Dumfries', 1859

Introduction:
The first centenary of the birth of Robert Burns was commemorated on the 25th of January 1859. The celebrations were instigated by Dumfries Burns Club but the Town Council of Dumfries and townspeople in general combined to make the celebrations an impressive event.
Image Rights Holder:
Dumfries & Galloway Museums Service
Ref:
205
Project:
241:Robert Burns - People and Places
Material:
Paper
Dimensions:
Image - length: 125 mm, width: 230 mm
What:
Illustrated London News 'Burns Farm at Ellisland', 1859
Subject:
The five bedroomed farmhouse which was built to Burns' instructions was designed by Thomas Boyd, a Dumfries architect. It is still as it was in Burns' time, although the steadings have been much remodelled. In 1929 the farm was presented to the nation by John Wilson Williamson. It is now a museum.
Who:
Robert Burns (1759-1796) (he lived here)
Dumfries Burns Club (event organisers)
John Wilson Williamson (previous owner)
Patrick Miller (Dalswinton)(1731-1815) (landlord of Burns)
Thomas Boyd (Dumfries) (architect)
Illustrated London News (publication)
When:
5 February 1859 (published)
Where:
Dumfries Museum, Dumfries & Galloway
Background:
The five bedroomed farmhouse which was built to Burns' instructions was designed by Thomas Boyd, a Dumfries architect. It is still as it was in Burns' time, although the steadings have been much remodelled. In 1929 the farm was presented to the nation by John Wilson Williamson. It is now a museum.
Description:
This engraving is taken from the report of the events carried by the 'Illustrated London News'. It shows the farmhouse at Ellisland. Robert Burns took on the lease of Ellisland Farm from Patrick Miller of Dalswinton from Whitsunday 1788 for a rent of ¶œ50 per year. It was a small unimproved holding of 170 acres situated on the bank of the River Nith about 5 miles north of the town of Dumfries. Miller gave Burns ¶œ300 with which to build a farm house and enclose the fields.