Show Navigation

Photograph of country house

Back

View Large Image

Ballochmyle House, Catrine

Introduction:
Ballochmyle was a mansion and estate which at one time comprised almost half of Mauchline parish. It belonged to a family named Reid in the 17th century and later to Sir John Whitefoord, a friend and patron of Burns. From 1786 it was held by the Alexander family, originally wealthy East Indies merchants.
Image Rights Holder:
Glasgow City Council Libraries and Archives
Ref:
CMA10
Project:
646:The Thomas Annan Collection
Material:
Paper
Dimensions:
140 x 190mm
What:
Photograph of country house
Subject:
These views were published, with historical notes, in a collection of photographs of 'inhabited castles and mansions' of Ayrshire. This followed on the success of a similar volume with Glasgow connections, but had an 'artistic' rather than a nostalgic emphasis.
Who:
Reid family (builders of house)
Thomas Annan (1829-1887) (photographer)
When:
1855-1887 (working life of photographer)
Where:
The Mitchell Library, Glasgow
Background:
These views were published, with historical notes, in a collection of photographs of 'inhabited castles and mansions' of Ayrshire. This followed on the success of a similar volume with Glasgow connections, but had an 'artistic' rather than a nostalgic emphasis.
Description:
The house itself was built in several phases and stood on the right bank of the Ayr opposite the village of Catrine.